3.13.2007

I am back. You know it.

I am back. I had a busy few weeks, which are now behind me. Thanks to Trout and the faithful Typeset for keeping the blog moving in my absence. This said, I got a lot of random stuff to discuss.

- I would have to agree 100% about upcoming NCAA tournament/St. Patrick's Day weekend being my favorite of the year. I actually think it's better now that we're a few years out of college. Taking off of work, doing nothing but sitting on the couch and eating and drinking - it couldn't be more of a throwback to senior year. Combine that with the most debaucherous holiday of the calendar year directly coinciding with the most exciting weekend in sports, and you got yourself a guaranteed fantastic time. Apparently, "debaucherous" is not a word. Who knew?

- I don't really know why everyone is hating on UNC (other than Dicky V.). I admit, I did not pick them. But that's only because I think Texas is going all the way. I think they are one of the most talented teams - and definitely one of the best coached teams - in the country. The have speed and good big men. They score a ton and have a deep bench. They have a top 10 draft pick in Hansborough. They aren't soft and appear as hungry as any team out there. They are definitely in a tough bracket, and I do not believe they'll advance to the Final Four. But they are absolutely a legit contender and should not be written off.

- Watch out for Nevada and Notre Dame. I see Elite 8 trips for both teams. I don't want to dwell on tourney predictions much longer - everyone and their mother has already made their picks.

- Has anyone seen the Knicks recently? They've very quietly positioned themselves as the 8 seed in the East. Isaiah Thomas gets a contract extension and no one is up in arms. I like the Knicks chances to make it, but without Lee and Crawford, they'd be lucky to win 1 game against the 1 seed (and be pretty lucky to get in).

- No idea if the Rushs are related, but is David Padgett related to Scott? If that's the case, how the hell did David spurn Kentucky for in-state rival Louisville? And how lucky is David not to have Scott's ears? He rivals Reggie Miller in the "most-protruding cranium satellites" category.
- Heard an interview with Robinson Cano on Mike and the Mad Dog. The guy doesn't speak a lick of English. He's up there with Benitez and Vlad for Latin all-stars who clearly are not trying to assimilate.

- Fantasy baseball is my other current sports-centric obsession. Trout and I talked about it, and we will not discuss our fantasy sleepers, etc. until after we conclude our drafts. Not that everyone in my leagues read this blog, but we're going to play it safe nonetheless.

- We can, however, talk about our predictions for the season on the team level. In the NL, I see the Phils winning the NL East, with the Mets winning the Wild Card (with 95-98 wins). I like the Cubs in the Central, assuming Zambrano doesn't tear a rotator cuff. And I think the Dodgers are the best team out West. The lineup is scrappy and the pitching staff is deep. This pick might shock you, but I think the Mets will beat the Phillies to represent the NL in the World Series. Watch out for a deadline trade by Omar. A stud SP will be a Met by August.

Things are a little less clear in the AL. I really like Toronto's balance; they had a great offseason. But they are still inferior to the Yankees and Red Sox, who are the best two teams in the MLB. I like the Indians over the White Sox in the Central, and I think the Angels will put it together out West. If the Red Sox establish a good closer (and if they don't sort it out by the summer, they'll either make a deadline deal or move Papelbon back to the pen), I see them heading to the World Series in a repeat of '86.

Again, I am not going to get into specifics about the players that will drive these teams to the post-season, etc. Maybe this portion of the post was a little premature given our lack of interest in showing our fantasy hands before the drafts, but we might as well get the ball rolling. Spring training is in full swing...

- 24: good, not great episode last night. I'm glad Logan is out of the picture (liked the character, but kept thinking he was involved in the terror plot. Who knows, maybe he is. Maybe he doesn't die here either). But the thing I took out of this episode was that I miss Agent Pierce. The guy was a rock, as reliable as it gets (right up there with Curtis. RIP). I also wonder if there is going to be a power struggle between Bauer and the new special ops guy. What else was that actor in? He looks eerily familiar. I feel like he once played a hit man for the Irish mob. Instead of IMDB-ing it, I'll let you all take a stab.

Good fight, good night. (What ever happened to Celebrity Death Match? It was definitely in my top 5 all-time Claymation TV shows.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Speckled Trout said...

The ranking of claymation shows goes like this:

1. Mr. Bill
2. Davey and Goliath
3. The Gumby Show

...

537. Celebrity Deathmatch (virtually unwatchable)
538. That shit-ass Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer show they always play on CBS around December 12th.

- Gonna save my baseball thoughts for a big preview post. I don't wanna set expectations so high that I won't be able to meet them. So I won't. But still, you'll probably want to read this.

- 24: Kinda weak. Have you noticed that the endings for each episode this year have been pretty terrible? Back when the show was humming along they used to always leave us off with some shocking shit. Now the show just kind of ends. I'm OK with this on other shows, like The Wire or Friday Night Lights, that don't revolve around gimmicks or twists, but that used to be one of the best parts of 24. I couldn't care less that Logan flatlined.

- The Hills: If Laguna Beach Season One was the equivalent of Pedro's '99-'00 seasons and the first season of The Hills was Pedro's 2004, then this season has felt like Pedro's 2006 season: started out dominant, then fell off a cliff. It's highly debatable that anything in recorded human history could possibly approach Pedro's '99 and '00 seasons (with Pavement's Slanted & Enchanted and Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain notable exceptions), but play along. You know what I'm sayin.

March 13, 2007 at 3:50 PM  
Blogger Dick Dastardly said...

woah woah woah. celebrity death match was definitely funny when it first came out (i believe halftime of the super bowl one year). secondly, the rudolph claymation christmas spectacular is a classic. what the hell is davey and goliath? is bob the builder claymation?

March 13, 2007 at 3:57 PM  
Blogger Furman P. Slothra said...

ah you best not be messin with the land of misfit toys.

March 13, 2007 at 5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lets get some dialogue going about the word "sketchy".

March 14, 2007 at 1:19 PM  
Blogger Speckled Trout said...

i think you may have to qualify your request, jesus, as it seemingly does not pertain to anything in the post or comments.

quite frankly, that comment was a little sketchy.

March 14, 2007 at 1:38 PM  
Blogger Ricks said...

Ugh, I have to vent this and the Hills seems to be a welcome topic here, sooo....Spencer is a total douchefuck. I can't even stand to look at him, he reminds me of a lizard. And he ALSO has no upper lip! Between Spencer & Audrina, there is a major lip problem on this show.

March 14, 2007 at 7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home