3.12.2007

Best 4 Days of the Year

- Remember back in college when the beginning of the Tournament, St. Patrick's Day, and the start of Spring Break all coincided on the same weekend? How did we ever make it out of that alive? Twas the perfect storm of events. I guess we'll have to settle for 2 out of 3 from now on, which ain't bad (according to Meatloaf).

- Alright, so here we go. Your wall-to-wall Type Slow tournament coverage starts right here:

ST LOUIS BRACKET

- Possible upsets: ODU (one of the better mid-majors in the best mid-major conference), Davidson (29 wins! Maryland sucks!), Georgia Tech (I think they might be favored against UNLV actually; I layed my case out for them in an earlier post).

- Who I'm actually picking: ODU and Tech; Maryland is one of those teams that steps up in the tournament and will be prepared (even though I think they suck)

- Cinderella potential: Notre Dame got kinda screwed on their seeding at number 6. They only lost 7 games (I think) and had a big scoring margin of 13 points in arguably the toughest conference.

-Final Four Pick: Gators. They're nasty, have an easy bracket, why wouldn't I pick them?

SAN JOSE BRACKET

- Possible Upsets: VCU (Duke has lost 7 of 11, doesn't put up a ton of points, VCU is clutch (see win against George Mason)), Holy Cross (I've already made my case for them in a previous post, but they always come to play in the tournament, plus Southern Illinois is a pretty bad 4 seed)

- Who I'm Actually Picking: I'm splitting my brackets with the VCU-Duke game (maybe the toughest game to call on the board), but I don't have the stones to pick my Crusaders. I won't be shocked if they're playing Saturday or Sunday, though.

- Cinderella Potential: Nobody, really. Even if VCU wins, I think they'll get hammered by Pitt.

- Final Four Pick: Kansas. This team is loaded up. They can make comebacks, they can play defense, they can hit clutch shots, they adjust well. They're gonna win it all. Is Brandon Rush related to Kareem Rush?

EAST RUTHERFORD BRACKET

- Possible Upsets: Arkansas (21-13 in a tough conference vs. USC at 23-11 in an average conference, plus they are playing well right now), Oral Roberts (just cuz I think Washington State blows)

- Who I'm Actually Picking: Arkansas is gonna win this game against USC, but I don't really think Oral Roberts can win.

- Cinderella Potential: Texas wouldn't really be a Cinderella as a 4 seed, but I could easily see them in the Final Four. However, I think Georgetown is going to beat them in the Elite 8, but not until the Durants slay UNC in the 16.

- Final Four Pick: I guess I gave this one away above, but Georgetown is looking real strong right now. I had no idea that guy Green was so good, but Hibbert better start showing up.

SAN ANTONIO BRACKET

- Possible Upsets: None. I literally have every higher seed winning in this bracket. I could be talked into Long Beach State, but I think Tennessee is pretty damn good.

- Who I'm Actually Picking: Penn. Psych.

- Cinderella Potential: While this bracket looks like it has an easy first round picking-wise, I think it's the most wide open once it gets past this weekend. I could see Nevada taking down Memphis (I'm not picking that) and I could see Tennessee taking down Ohio State (I am picking that).

- Final Four Pick: My only sort of stretch for the Final Four comes out of this bracket: Texas A&M. I think they beat Memphis in the Sweet 16 and then Tennessee in the Elite 8.

There ya go. Not a ton of surprises from me, really only 8 or 9 picks for the lower seeds. While I don't think there will be a ton of upsets, I think there will be a shitload of close games (UVA-Albany, Tenn-LBSU, WSU-Oral, Winthrop-ND, Pitt-Wright St, VCU-Duke, among others). Should be a hell of a weekend. Here's hoping I remember some of it.

7 Comments:

Blogger Furman P. Slothra said...

i'm feelin old dom and oral rob. all i got to say about that.

March 12, 2007 at 2:04 PM  
Blogger legend said...

VCWho? You honestly think they're gonna beat the Dukies? You've officially lost it Trout. Upsets in the brackets are a pretty set equation with "the favored team playing crappy" being the most important variable. Love 'em or hate 'em, the Devils are the best-coached and most disciplined team in the country. What they lack is an explosive offense. They'll win handily.
I gotta say, I agree with a lot of your other upset picks (it still remains to be seen whether I have the stones to actually slate in the Old D upset tho).
Texas will not beat UNC. Even with Hansborough at 60%, the team is waay too deep, and I think another star will emerge on the roster to compliment Wright. They'll cruise to a shellacking by my Hoyas in the elite 8.
S.A. is def the hardest to pick right now. I don't trust Ohio St, I think they're too young, and right now I have UVA upsetting them (pending a little espn.com research on the Cavaliers). The toughest game to pick BY FAR in the bracket is the Sweet 16 A&M v Memphis. Both are stud teams. No one knows really how good memphis is, but they're loaded with talent. A&M has been great all year, and have arguably the most clutch player in the tourney, but has their luck run out?
No matter how it shakes, I got UCLA and the Hoyas. I couldn't decide who to take so I'm leaving it in the hands of the sagely Mrs. T (aka Mom). If she makes leftovers for dinner (most likely pork chops), I'm going with UCLA, but if she comes up with something different, something new - then I'm riding with my Hoyas.
Dreams are made and dreams die these next 3 weeks, but it'll be another 365 before the Big Red of Cornell get another shot to not live the dream.

March 12, 2007 at 3:17 PM  
Blogger Speckled Trout said...

i'd call gerald henderson's dropping of the hammer on hansbrough's grill a relative lapse in discipline. I still think it's a tough game to call (as i said), so i'll be flip-floppin as i fill out multiple brackets.

i just wish cornell would make it and contend for at least a half sometime during my lifetime.

By the way, these Bracketology shows are starting to rank right up there with pound cake, Heidi Montag, and those maple scone things they sell at Starbucks... its not possible for me to get enough. my thirst for this show simply cannot be sated.

i cant fucking wait til thursday, though.

March 12, 2007 at 3:36 PM  
Blogger Furman P. Slothra said...

oh i'm also all about NC state cuz they got that guy named engine astërisk or whatever. dude makes headline writing really easy when his team wins.

March 12, 2007 at 4:09 PM  
Blogger Speckled Trout said...

youre gonna have to find somewhere else to watch NC State, cuz we ain't watching the NIT.

March 12, 2007 at 4:58 PM  
Blogger Furman P. Slothra said...

don't you know what the I in NIT stands for. You hafta be INVITED to that tourney. For the other one you just hafta have a white sixth man who's "a hustler, just soooooo easy to coach" and a pep band that can play "livin on a prayer". which one is for real champions?

March 12, 2007 at 6:30 PM  
Blogger legend said...

please tell me someone saw the end of 'i love new york' last night. it was like a big bowl of amazingness. i realize that it's on at the same time as the most over-rated show on television, but this show has an emerging reality superstar in Chance.
also, i'm officially bored with 'the hills'. the only thing that can save it is the return of jason, which i don't foresee happening seeing as he's been going on a cross-country tour of county lock-ups. it's a crime that mtv is trying to replace heidi with audrina (who has the personality of a wet rock, and was officially ruined for me via lack of upper lip by trout)...unforgivable

March 13, 2007 at 8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home