1.08.2007

Weekend Thoughts

-The Jets-Pats tilt was definitely much closer than the final score might indicate, but at no point did I not think the Pats were gonna win. They were dragging ass for awhile and letting the Jets hang around all game to the point where I actually said, "What the hell, Pats? How bout you start winning this game?" Next play, Wilfork picks up the backwards lateral and over the next five minutes, speeds to the 15 setting up a Pats TD.

-I don't think I agree with you, Judge Smalls, about Chad's inability to lead the Jets to a Super Bowl. He's definitely serviceable and doesn't kill them nearly as often as it seems like he should. Of NFL starters, there are probably only ten guys I'd rather have running the show than Chad. He knows what he's doing and generally understands his own limitations, so that he does not force things particularly often. The only blatant mistake I can recall was the pick he gave up to Samuel at the end, where the situation dictated that he would have to try some crazy shit to get the Jets to make any noise. I don't think it's Chad's fault the Jets aren't serious contenders. I mean, would you rather have the 2002 version of Brad Johnson? Or the 2000 version of Trent Dilfer? Or even the 2001 version of Brady? What is all that different between Chad right now and the way the Pats used to let Brady play? The early '00s version of Brady threw the ball more than 10 yards maybe three or four times a game. It was all short passes. In fact, the short pass was essentially the Pats' version of a running game. They would run the ball a few times a game with the likes of the great Antowain Smith, but since he sucked, they opted for short passes all the time (kinda like the Jets) hoping for the occasional big play (kinda like the Cotchery TD). Chad won't be the guy leading the Jets to the Super Bowl, but they can definitely win one with him.

-That said, I don't watch the Jets that often, but it must just kill you to watch this guy play. Watching the game with our buddy Slothra, we noted that at least 17 of Chad's 40 passes looked like they should have been picked off and taken to the house by the guys in blue. I think they stopped showing the slo-mo replays after awhile because they didn't have enough time between plays. Holy shit, your boy (Scotty) Smalls had a better arm in the beginning of the Sandlot. He's like the football version of Tim Wakefield: solid guy to have, never looks too bad in the box score, but he feels like an impending train wreck whenever you watch him live.

-The way I feel right now, I'm just as excited for the opportunity to go back to sleep tonight as I am to watch the "national championship." There's just no buzz for this game anymore. Not that I get all that hyped for any college football game, but this has the chance to be a pretty great game. And it's impossible for me to care any less. The NFL playoffs just blew this thing off the radar. College football is the only sport that peaks in the first half of its season. What a joke. Who cares?

-I'll tell you what I do care about: next Sunday we get reintroduced to the immortal Jack Bauer. Here's a question - what if Fox, instead of running the first four episodes in two hour allotments on back-to-back days, released the first four episodes as a 3 hour movie (4 episodes minus about an hour of commercials)? Think about it, Fox obviously has the requisite footage for a 3 hour movie since they are showing it all next week, everybody who watches 24 would HAVE to go see this movie due to the nature of the show, and probably 90% of those people would see it within a week of its release (with the other 10% tivoing subsequent episodes until they got around to seeing the movie). This would have the potential to be the highest grossing opening week in the history of movies. From a selfish standpoint, I can't decide if I like this idea. On one hand, I'd have to pay 10 bucks to see it, when in past years I could just watch it for free. However, this would be just about the most fun a person could have at the movie theater. Thoughts?

-Finally, you know what else starts next Monday night? The Hills is back, bitch. Try to contain yourself, Smalls. Initially, I thought there was going to be a scheduling conflict between two of my favorite shows, but the TV gods were looking out for us. Jack Bauer followed by Heidi and LC. Catch the fucking fever.

3 Comments:

Blogger legend said...

Not gonna lie trout, i've been counting down the days to the season premiere of 'the hills' myself. the previews totally sucked me in with the quick frame juxtaposition and sappy song from trl. i already can't wait to see LC get ripped by her boss for making arguably the stupidest decision in the history of semi-reality tv. although i've gotta say, i'm almost positive i saw a jason cameo in there. how can this guy still be hanging around? he's clearly the best reality tv villain around rite now, basically the randy moss of mtv - poisons every situation, clearly doesn't give a damn about anything but himself, but capable of changing the game at any second. what is the appeal of this guy though? does he have a 12 inch dong or something?? how did this slimeball land LC, it kills me. i've asked some of my female friends and they all legitimately find this guy attractive...as a result, i'm going to grow a beard, get fat, quit my job and not pursue any other career prospects, and spend all my allowance on alcohol and columbian marching powder.

January 10, 2007 at 10:43 AM  
Blogger Speckled Trout said...

I'm not sure I like what I'm seeing from the previews. I like LC and all, but the real star of the show is Heidi and it looks like she's gonna have a falling out with LC at some point. Hopefully this leads to a Heidi spinoff called "the other side of hollywood: my life in skinemax."

I'm really pulling for beard kid (Jason) to have more than just a cameo. I mean he's completely despicable and all that, but he's also kind of retarded. so, every scene he's in is hilarious cuz he's so vapid. i'm not sure how he bagged LC. it seems to me he only has two things going for him: 1) every girl thinks he's hot, and 2) he's rich as all hell. but it's not like LC would have a tough time finding a good looking dude given that she's hot as hell and she's been on a reality tv show for like 4 years. plus, she (and the rest of the people on these shows) is also stupid rich, so money shouldn't really even matter. baffling stuff

my only goal with this blog is to get heidi to read it.

January 10, 2007 at 3:11 PM  
Blogger legend said...

that's assuming Heidi can/does read

January 10, 2007 at 4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home